Monday, May 17, 2010

The Debut

So, I'll start off by saying that I don't know very much about blogging. In fact, I've only started reading a few blogs within the past year (and you can count the number on just the fingers of your left hand). However, one of them in particular has gotten be very inspired - it's the only one that is also on blogspot here, Earth Friendly Weddings! I'm not sure how I should go about introducing my topics, or even what they will be, but I'm going to try to post at least biweekly about planning our wedding.

We want it to be as fun, low-cost and low-impact as possible. We are rather 'green' folks, and don't feel like driving ourselves into debt for what's supposed to be the start of our lives together (which is in itself a little silly, since we've been together almost 5 years now, and have lived together for almost all of that!). We want our celebration to be an outdoors affair, and to be rather 'afternoon tea in the backyard.' This post by 2000 Dollar Wedding is what got me seriously thinking about my fiance's suggestion about asking our family and friends to contribute to the day in the form of a potluck. At first, I thought it was a bit cheesy, but the longer I considered it the more it made sense to me. We want it to be an intimate day, and to be cost-effective while environmentally conscious. Since it will be early afternoon, it's just going to be akin to a small luncheon. If we give folks the option of making dishes or drinks for the day instead of purchasing us a gift on a registry, I would hope it would make folks more excited about it.

I'll end my first post by asking what anyone thinks about this idea. We are going to be having our wedding at Borderlands State Park, so there will be no electricity, and no alcoholic beverages allowed.

2 comments:

  1. Missy this is so exciting! (I found the "post" option finally). I have to say that this IS the start of our lives together. Up until now we've been living together, yes, but never with any sure understanding of where our future will take us. I can't help but hope that by the time we're wed we will know where we're going and will be able to tackle these challenges together. Besides, with a certificate proving that we're kind of official it will be harder for life to separate us again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do think it's an interesting idea, but two thoughts came to my mind after I read this over, and I am wondering if you have also thought of these potential issues:

    1) With no electricity, how do you plan on keeping everything cold (even just water)? Do you think you will have enough coolers/space to keep ALL of the food cool, especially if guests bring things that need to be refrigerated?

    2) It would be a shame if some friends or family "forgot" to bring a dish/drink, and there wasn't enough food for everyone to be satisfied. That's always a major party foul if guests leave hungry! I've definitely hosted (and been to) plenty of parties where guests conveniently "forget" to prepare or buy a dish, especially broke students/recent grads. What would you do if you came up short?

    Not to put a damper on your idea, but I think maybe these things should be considered before entirely swearing off a catering company...

    ReplyDelete