Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Food for thought


With the change in our venue, there was an instantaneous and very important change to the bulk of our wedding plans - namely that we would have a catered meal for the larger number of guests rather than a small potluck/picnic. I have to say, the ride was really a roller coaster in the hunt for a caterer. First off, I couldn't find very many nearby that had even a hint of green anywhere in their character - or if they did, it seemed to be some gimmick that they charged an arm and a leg for. Costs were also quite prohibitive, and quickly narrowed our selection down to about three or so.

From there, it was really, really simple. The first one never responded to our inquiry. The second was haughty, distant, and extremely rude. The third felt like kindred spirit. I am very happy to say that Smoke & Pickles will be bringing you the lunch on our wedding day! (Edit: I didn't realize this until later, but these guys are so good they've been featured in at least half a dozen publications. Including Martha Stewart, the Boston Globe, and Design Sponge). I had an amazing morning meeting with Dan - just talking about good food and homegrown meals, DIY projects, and generally relaxing with a gorgeous view of the Westport River with scattered storms. He took me to a lovely little diner for a delicious lunch (can't say I've ever had Kale and Barley soup before, but it made quite an impression!). We already have the menu down, and the best part is that at least half the dishes are from my own recipes. You can't get more of a cozy family dinner feel than you can with the same food you'd mow down in your own kitchen!

Next, included in the phenomenal price that he's offered us, I get to chat with an event planner that's included in the contract. Sadly, we will probably be doing this long-distance with my move to TX in just three weeks, but I certainly hope she can connect us with some good farms to find fruit, veggies, and flowers for the decorations I have in mind. I'm doodling out a bit of an 'inspiration board' that I've seen all around the Broke-Ass Bride blog, expect to see that in a mini post later on.

This will possibly be my only post before the big move, since my sister's wedding is in less than two weeks. Any exception will just be the pictures I've already mentioned. So excited, this whole shindig is finally becoming real, rather than just a wonderful daydream!

No comments:

Post a Comment