Tuesday, August 3, 2010

And back from far, far and away...

So it has been over a month since I last posted, huh? You wouldn't believe how many things I wanted to write about, but never found the time to. Favors doubling as table decorations, size of the guest list, 'best' time of the year for a wedding, friends officiating vs. family pastor, making a website for our wedding - the list just goes on and on. And then there's all the fun little favors and decorations I made for my sister's wedding shower this past weekend that I'm itching to share with you all. I hardly know what to start with first.

I guess I'll just go chronologically. Favors. Or decorations, depending on your interpretation. We've been all over the map on this one. Originally it was making cookie-cutters out of metal craft strips in the shape of a maple leaf, attached to a card with our favorite cookie recipe(s). In fact, the idea was born from these:

.

Next, one of my friends showed me an article on terrarium centerpieces (which did double-duty in both decoration idea AND introducing me to Indie Bliss. A wonderful discovery, that). So that prompted a mad week or two of researching cheap containers and the best methods for making small terrariums. I figured that, working at a pet store that also offers live plants and terrarium products for the scaly kids, I could get all the other supplies I needed there. Somewhere along the way I discovered this PERFECT idea for making the whole thing even more green (as if living terrariums could be more eco-friendly, eh?). Recycled light bulbs. For the containers! Do see the beautiful examples at Re-nest. The first one you see is my favorite.

Perfect, right? Except, where to find about 50-60 burnt-out bulbs... Hm...

I do still love the terrarium idea, but then got to thinking: I wonder how many folks would really like these little guys as much as I do? I'd hate to see them go to waste, just sitting on some dark shelf until they get all moldy and stinky. Plus, that's a lot more work to put into our 'simple' wedding than we had been hoping for. Do love, love, love the idea, and if I had about 3 or 4 more of me I would probably pursue it whole-heartedly, but now I'm back to one of the first ideas I had and forgot about until I saw it in the beginning of my little scrap/note-book. Donations to a charity or non-profit organization. Specifically one like the Nature Conservancy, or the National Wildlife Federation. Simple, less expensive, and more pro-active. I mean, we might still do some little doo-dad if we find something fun and, well, not to sound like a cheapskate, but let's say 'efficiently frugal.' But let us not forget: beside being green about this affair, our goal is to NOT start our married life by digging ourselves into debt for the "biggest day of our lives."

So, can anyone think of any other charity or non-profit that we should consider for our donation?

No comments:

Post a Comment