Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer inspiration

This will be a short and sweet one, I promise, just a lot of pictures. I wanted to share all the fun things that I made for my sister's bridal shower at the end of last month. I made all that you see below myself - the candles, the wreath, I even made about half the food for it (thought I didn't take pictures of that =p ).

First up, the candles. I made 15 of these (those in front with the raffia), and had 15 that my sister's other bridesmaid gave me which were purchased ahead of time. This is what gave me the inspiration for rounding out the other half of the 30 required favors.



Those are real sand dollars that my aunt had already (she very kindly offered for us to have the shower at her house), and the starfish are also real little guys (who sure smelled it when we took them out of the packages!)

So, the containers are votive holders I found at AC Moore for about $0.80 a piece. I affixed the wicks to the bottom with just a dot of Elmer's glue. The sand was from Michael's (they had better colors there), which I just poured in layers (it also helps to keep the wick in place). Then I just placed one small pearl, a minitature starfish (also purchased from AC Moore), and mini sea shells on top of the sand. I forgot to take many WIP shots to share, sorry =( .

There were two special candles as well, one in a small footed glass for my aunt as thanks, and one in a wine glass for the bride. You can see the details much better in this one.



We also decorated all the tables with similar shells and starfish.



And, lastly, my gift to the bride was a hand-made wreath. All the shells were picked by hand: the blue and white large ones by me at Nantasket, and all others by my parents on their adventures through the years. Sorry, another cell phone picture.



And that's that! I won't bore you with step-by step instructions about the wax in the candles, or making the wreath. I just followed the instructions on the wax packaging, and just glued in shells and beads where I thought they looked nice on the wreath.

So, anyone else have any fun ideas about beach-themed extravaganzas?

1 comment: